This hearty bean soup recipe by Avoca is ideal for cold winter days
On those winter days when temperatures are low, a hearty serving of soup is like a hug in a bowl. This Tuscan bean soup recipe by Avoca is really straightforward and uses up lots of lovely vegetables. Serve it with some pesto on top and crusty bread on the side for a delicious weekday lunch or dinner.
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 celery sticks, finely diced
- 2 large carrots, finely diced
- 75g/3oz streaky bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1.2 litres / 2 pints vegetable stock
- 3x400g/14oz cans of chopped tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- A pinch of sugar
- 110g/4oz canned cannellini beans, drained and well rinsed
- 1 dessertspoon oregano
- Sauté the onion in olive oil for 10 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the celery, carrots and bacon and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then stir in the stock and the tomatoes.
- Season well, adding the bay leaf and sugar.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked but still al dente.
- Stir in the beans and oregano and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve with croutons. You can also add some pesto on top for additional flavour.