Whether you’re looking to impress guests at the weekend, or just stir up a nice meal at home, why not try these quick and easy brunch pancakes on the BBQ.
As a nation, we’ve come to love brunch. The meal on Saturday and Sunday that’s made for catching up with loved ones and enjoying breakfast foods in the afternoon. This classic pancake recipe by Weber includes a tasty, fruity sauce that can be easily and quickly whipped up on the barbecue, using the Weber GBS griddle.
Serves: 4 people
Preparation time: 30 minutes
BBQ temperature: 200 °C
- 200 g plain flour
- 30 g sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 pinch of salt
- ½ tsp cardamom
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 3 eggs
- 300 ml whole milk
- 50 ml beer
- Butter for frying
- 80 g sugar
- 30 g butter
- 200 ml mild coffee (freshly-brewed)
- 40 g brown sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 100 g blackberries
- 50 g blueberries
- 50 g chopped hazelnuts, lightly roasted
- A handful of red sorrel blooms
- Vanilla ice cream
- Slice the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds, saving the vanilla pod for later use.
- Mix the flour, sugar, vanilla sugar, salt, cardamom and lemon zest in a bowl. Add the milk and beer while stirring.
- Add one egg at a time while whisking. Whisk the batter thoroughly – there mustn’t be any lumps. Put the batter in the fridge for one hour.
- Prepare the barbecue for direct heat, 200° C. Place the griddle in the GBS grate and pre-heat.
- Add butter to the griddle, and fry the pancakes one at a time, turning once. Add more butter as required. When the pancakes are done, fold them into triangles and cover.
- Caramelise the sugar lightly in the griddle, add butter and the vanilla pod and let the butter sizzle while stirring. Add the coffee and brown sugar and simmer until the sugar is dissolved. Let the caramel reduce for a thicker consistency.
- Add eight folded pancakes to the caramel sauce and heat them carefully, turning them once. When the pancakes are hot, add blackberries and blueberries, and heat up quickly.
- Decorate the pancakes with berries and red sorrel on a plate or serve directly in the griddle. Before serving, sprinkle the pancakes with chopped hazelnuts. Serve with ice cream and enjoy!