Spice up your al fresco favourite with this BBQ sausage recipe that has a strong kick to it
We’ll never tire of delicious BBQs in this sunshine, but sometimes you do need to switch it up. Instead of your go-to hot dog, shake things up for a kick of flavour.
Weber’s Tex Mex Sausage Sandwich recipe is a simple crowd-pleaser. A delicious twist on the classic, this mouth-watering recipe is sure impress those gathered around the barbecue and is perfect for beginner and pro grillers alike.
Tex Mex Sausage Sandwich
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
Key accessory: Weber Crafted Grilling Basket
2 large jalapeno chilies, deseeded and cut crosswise into 8mm wide strips
1 onion, halved lengthways and sliced into 8mm-thick half-moons
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 fresh (uncooked) Mexican chorizo or hot Italian sausages, about 680g total
6 small hotdog rolls (about 13cm), split
200g cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
3 spring onions, white and light green parts thinly sliced, and dark green tops thinly sliced and reserved separately
5 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Prepare the barbecue for direct and indirect cooking over medium heat (180–230°C). Brush the cooking grates clean. Place a perforated grill pan over direct heat, close the lid and preheat for 10 minutes. Combine the chilies, onion, oil, salt, cumin and black pepper and toss to coat.
- Spread the vegetables in the grilling basket or pan and cook over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, for 6–8 minutes, until softened and beginning to colour, stirring occasionally. Slide the pan to the cooler part of the barbecue and keep the vegetables warm while you grill the sausages and buns.
- Grill the sausages over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, for 8–10 minutes, until browned and fully cooked, turning occasionally.
- During the last 4 minutes of grilling, toast the rolls for 1–2 minutes over grill, cut side down without separating the tops and bottoms, until golden.
- Flip the rolls and move to indirect heat to keep warm. Scatter the cheese over the cut sides of the rolls and sprinkle the white and light green spring onions over the cheese. Roast over indirect medium heat, with the lid closed, for about 2 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Remove the rolls from the barbecue and place on plates. Place a sausage on the bottom half of each roll and spoon the chilies and onion over the sausages. Garnish with the coriander and remaining dark green spring onion tops and serve.
*This recipe is from the Weber Barbecue Bible Cookbook by Jamie Purviance, Hamlyn, €35.37 and is available to purchase from weber.com
Read next: Try this smokey chilli and lime BBQ chicken recipe