Looking for recipe inspiration that will please the whole family? Cook along with this tasty chilli and guacamole recipe video
It feels like we’re cooking more than ever. When you’ve a family to feed, it can be hard to think of new ways to do dinner, so we asked Irish Country Magazine parenting columnist Kellie Billings to share one of her favourite family-pleasing meals. This is always a huge hit with her three girls! Take a look as Kellie takes us through her chilli con carne with a side of guacamole, and find the full recipe below.
• 3-4 large ripe avocados
• Handful of fresh coriander leaves
• Juice of 1 & 1/2 limes
• 1/2 red chilli, seeds removed
• 1 de-seeded tomato
• 1/2 garlic clove
• Salt & pepper
Halve and de-stone the avocados. In a bowl. mash or chop to your preferred texture. Squeeze juice of 1/2 lime to prevent the avocado from oxidising. In a blender add the coriander leaves, chilli, tomato, garlic, the juice of 1 lime and blitz. Add coriander mix to avocados, season with salt and pepper to taste
Chilli Con Carne:
• 1-2 lbs round steak mince
• 1 Oxo cube
• 2-3 tbsp olive oil
• 2 x red onion
• 1/2 red chilli
• 3-4 garlic cloves
• 1 x cup decaf coffee
• 1/2 cup water
• 200g passata or tin tomato
• 2 tbsp maple syrup
• 1 x red pepper
• 1 x tin kidney beans
1 x tsp:
• Chilli flakes
1 x heaped tsp:
2 x heaped tsp
• Smoked paprika
• In a heavy-bottomed pan, fry off the steak mince with an Oxo cube on a high heat. Once browned turn the heat down, and add in 2 tbsp of olive oil.
• Add in all spices and gently fry for 2-3 minutes to release their flavours.
• Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and add the onions, garlic and chilli, cook on a low heat for 7-10 minutes until the onions are softened.
• Next add the tin tomato or passatta, coffee and water if needed.
• Bring to the boil then cover and leave simmer for 2 hours – stirring occasionally.
• Add chopped peppers, maple syrup and kidney beans cooking for a further 30 minutes, only partially covered.
Serve with rice, tacos or nachos and enjoy!