Try this delicious, savoury, crowd-pleasing recipe from Ballymaloe Original Relish
It’s that time of year again to spend time with friends and loved ones over the Christmas holidays. Food plays a huge part in reliving traditions and creating new memories with those around us. Ballymaloe Original Relish is the perfect addition to most dishes all year round, but it’s certainly worth adding to add to your shopping list to relish those special Christmas mealtime moments. The familiar, great taste of Ballymaloe Original Relish transforms a simple cheeseboard and is melt in the mouth with delicious homemade sausage rolls fresh out of the oven. Let’s not forget about the post-Christmas sandwich that we all dream of even as we’re enjoying the Christmas dinner!
Ballymaloe Foods have delicious recipes on their website for party nibbles, the roast turkey and even some desserts using some of their most well-known products like their Mint Jelly, Ham Glaze and Cranberry Sauce. For recipes, see ballymaloefoods.ie.
Sausage Roll Garland with Ballymaloe Relish
This recipe is perfect for sharing as it’s a total party pleaser! By adding a great mix of herbs to the pork mince, we’re bringing out even more flavour, which works so well with the tomatoes and spices in Ballymaloe Original Relish. Not only does this dish taste delightful, it’s a thing of beauty to behold too! Serve with a generous helping of Ballymaloe Original or Pepper Relish on the side.
For the sausage mix:
- 225g lean pork (minced)
- 225g pork fat (minced)
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 2 tsp thyme, marjoram, basil and rosemary (mixed and chopped)
- 1 free-range egg (beaten)
- 1 ½ cups soft breadcrumbs
- Salt & pepper
For the pastry:
- 350g all-butter puff pastry
- Ballymaloe Original Relish
- 1 free-range egg (beaten)
- A little milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Combine all the ingredients for the sausage mixture together and mix well. Fry a little of the mixture in a frying pan to check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- If using homemade puff pastry: on a floured work surface, roll the pastry out into a big rectangle, a little thicker than a one euro coin. If using pre-rolled, lay out on a floured work surface.
- Roll the sausage mixture into a sausage shape with your hands and lay it lengthwise on one side of the rectangle.
- Spread Ballymaloe Original Relish over the pastry, leaving the last quarter free for sealing. Roll the sausage and pastry into a tube, pressing the seam together. Join both ends together forming a circle – pressing again to seal tightly.
- Place this circle gently on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Mix the egg and milk and brush the pastry with the mixture. Using a sharp knife, score through the garland to within 1cm of the inside, at 2.5cm intervals.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 25 minutes or until puffed, golden and cooked through. Serve with more Ballymaloe Original Relish or Ballymaloe Pepper Relish on the side.