IKEA has shared the recipe for its famous meatballs – and they’re really simple to make at home!
Swedish store IKEA is known for two things – its affordable flat-pack furniture and its meatballs. The retailer has hundreds of stores worldwide and their Swedish meatballs served with a creamy sauce are a menu bestseller. Now, IKEA has released step-by-step instructions on how to create the delicious meatballs at home, with only six simple steps.
Ingredients for meatballs; makes 16 – 20:
- 500g beef mince
- 250g pork mince
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed or minced)
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons of whole milk
- salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for Swedish cream sauce:
- dash of oil
- 40g butter
- 40g plain flour
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 150ml beef stock
- 150ml thick double cream
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1. Combine beef and pork mince and mix thoroughly to break up any lumps. Add finely chopped onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg and mix. Add milk and season well with salt and pepper.
2. Shape mixture into small, round balls. Place on a clean plate, cover and store in the fridge for 2 hours (to help them hold their shape whilst cooking).
3. In a frying pan, heat oil on medium heat. When hot, gently add your meatballs and brown on all sides.
4. When browned, add to an ovenproof dish and cover. Place in a hot oven (180°C or 160°C fan) and cook for a further 30 minutes.
Swedish cream sauce
5. In frying pan, melt 40g of butter. Whisk in 40g of plain and continue cooking, stirring continuously, for 2 minutes, allowing the flour to cook through. Add 150ml of vegetable stock and 150ml of beef stock and continue to stir. Add 150ml thick double cream, 2 teaspoons of soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard. Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken. Continue to stir.
6. When ready to eat, serve with your favourite potatoes – either creamy mash or mini new boiled potatoes. Enjoy!