This brilliant recipe from Donal Skehan is a handy midweek meal that’s guaranteed to keep both kids and adults happy
500g beef mince
100g streaky bacon, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, 2 crushed, 2 finely chopped
40g fresh white breadcrumbs
1 medium free range egg
40g parmesan, finely grated, plus extra to serve
30g flat leaf parsley, chopped
500g pack spaghetti
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
680g jar passata
1 tsp red wine vinegar
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl, mix together the mince, bacon, crushed garlic, breadcrumbs, egg, parmesan and half the parsley. Season well and then shape into 28 small meatballs.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water for 10-12 minutes. Drain, reserving a good couple of ladles of cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium high heat and brown the meatballs all over and remove to a plate. Add the onion to the pan and cook gently for 5 minutes then add the sliced garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Add the passata and season well and bubble for 5 minutes then add back in the meatballs and cook for 15 minutes adding in some of the cooking water and the vinegar for the final 5 minutes.
- Serve the spaghetti with the meatballs and sauce and scatter with the remaining parsley and some extra parmesan.