This beautiful desert is the perfect center-piece this holiday season
Getting ready for a season of festive entertaining? If you want to whip up the perfect after-dinner treat to impress your guests, look no further than this Siúcra x Catherine Fulvio’s Christmas Wreath Cake.
Here is what you’ll need for the ingredients:
For the prosecco syrup
- 200g Siúcra Caster Sugar
- 300ml Prosecco
- 150ml cranberry juice
For the frosted cranberries
- 100g fresh cranberries
- 100g Siúcra Granulated Sugar
For the cake
- 160g softened butter
- 180g Siúcra Light Golden Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 280g plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp milk
For the icing
- 120g softened butter
- 250g Siúcra Icing Sugar
- 60g mascarpone
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the bow
- Siúcra Roll Out Icing
- Deep red colour paste
- Sprigs of rosemary, dipped in Siucra granulated sugar
- To prepare the prosecco syrup, place the sugar, prosecco and cranberry juice into a large saucepan and bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes until medium to thick consistency.
- Leave to cool completely before using.
- To prepare the frosted cranberries, use 3 tbsp of the prosecco syrup, combine the cranberries into this and then spread the granulated sugar out on a large plate. Roll the syrupy cranberries into the sugar and leave to dry.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- To prepare the cake, brush a 22cm round tin (or a spring form tin) with a hole in the centre generously with melted butter.
- Place the butter, brown Sugar, vanilla extract and whisk until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and whisk well.
- Sift the plain flour and baking powder together and fold into the egg mixture.
- Add in enough milk to form a soft cake batter.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer is inserted and it comes out clean.
- To prepare the icing, whisk all the ingredients together until light and fluffy.
- When the cake is bake and is still hot, make some holes in the top with a skewer and pour the prosecco syrup over, spreading as you go. Leave to soak in.
- To decorate, place the cake on a cake stand. Using a palette knife, spread the icing over the top, sides and inside of the cake.
- Colour some Siúcra Roll Out Icing Sugar with red colour paste and make a bow.
- Arrange the frosted cranberries, rosemary sprigs dusted in sugar and the pretty bow on top.