This Saturday is World Whiskey Day! Here, Bushmills Irish Whiskey shares three easy cocktail recipes you can enjoy at home
World Whiskey Day is celebrated on the third Saturday in May every year. So this weekend is the perfect time to finally master the art of the perfect whiskey sour.
Bushmills Irish Whiskey shared a DIY whiskey sour guide with us, as well as two other easy cocktail recipes to try. Remember, if you don’t own a cocktail shaker, you can try shaking up your cocktail in a mason jar, just ensure the lid closes properly! Let’s raise a glass to Irish whiskey on World Whisky/Whiskey Day!
The Classic Sour is often a favourite. The hint of sugar compliments the sweet, warm vanilla notes of Bushmills Original, while the strong, fresh flavours of the bitters and lemon juice bring the crisp, spicy finish of the whiskey to the fore.
- 50ml of Bushmills Original
- 25ml fresh lemon juice
- 15ml sugar syrup
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 dash orange bitters
- 1 whole egg white
- Pour 50ml of Bushmills Original into a shaker.
- Add 25ml fresh lemon juice, 15ml sugar syrup, 2 dashes Angostura bitters, 1 dash orange bitters and 1 whole egg white.
- Shake together.
- Add ice then shake again.
- Strain over cubed ice into a rocks glass and garnish with lemon peel.
Once you’ve mastered the classic sour, try these simple and refreshing recipes. The first is a simple recipe that allows you to enjoy the flavour of the whiskey, and the second is a fruity drink that is lovely on a hot summer’s day.
The cocktail is really refreshing. The fresh and zesty notes of Bushmills 10 Year Old complement the crisp, fruity flavours from the cider and apple juice.
- 50ml Bushmills 10 Year Old
- 75ml dry cider
- 30ml soda
- 25ml pressed apple juice
- Pour 50ml Bushmills 10 Year Old into a highball glass.
- Add 75ml dry cider.
- Top with 30ml soda and 25ml pressed apple juice.
- Add cubed ice and garnish with a wedge of apple on the edge of the glass.
BLACK BUSH HIGHBALL WITH A TWIST OF ORANGE
There’s no need to complicate a good whiskey. This refreshing cocktail is super easy to make at home with just three simple ingredients. Make sure to garnish with a twist of orange to really draw out the complex flavours of dried fruits and nuts in the whiskey.
- 35ml Black Bush
- 125ml soda water
- Orange wedge / twist
- Pour 35ml Black Bush into a highball glass.
- Add chunks of ice.
- Top with soda water.
- Garnish with a wedge or twist of orange.
For more cocktail inspiration and recipes, follow Bushmills Irish Whiskey on social media @BushmillsIRL. Please drink responsibly.
Photography by Rob Durston (www.durstonphoto.com)