Some of these may surprise you
Were you an OG Harry Potter fan? Were you a devotee of the Game of Thrones books before they became a TV phenomenon? If so, this will be of interest to you.
On World Book Day, bookworms across the country are being encouraged to check their bookshelves, attics and sheds in case they are sitting on a fortune. Some of the rarest books might not be what you think, with Chapters Bookstore and eBay seeing some amazing books being brought to sale here in Ireland.
Here are the Top 5 rarest books currently selling on ebay.ie:
- €17,439 Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone 1st edition + signed, see here.
- €9,845 GRR Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire, Game of Thrones Signed/Limited Set, see here.
- €9,560 Frankenstein. Extremely Rare 1884 Illustrated Penny Dreadful Style Edition, see here.
- €5,000 Paul McCartney Signed Blackbird Singing First Edition Book, see here.
- €3,375 Doctor Sleep Stephen King signed, see here.
- €2,587 DESTINATION UNKNOWN Signed Agatha Christie 1st 1954 Collins Crime Club HBDJ, see here.
Ireland’s readers were vocal about their heartbreak in 2021 when the original owners of Chapters Bookstore, Ireland’s largest independent, new, and second-hand bookstore, announced that they were closing after over 40 years in business.
Fast forward to March 2023, Mick Finucane and Kevin Neary, founders of GameStop Ireland, have re-opened the bricks and mortar shop and launched a brand-new store on eBay.ie, allowing them to make their extensive range of new and second handbooks available to the millions of daily shoppers worldwide.
Mick Finucane, CEO at Chapters Bookstore commented; “So much of our stock is community generated as customers trade in their books for store credit or cash, which means that we have a truly eclectic and sprawling range of titles, as well as all the standards and classics that you would expect.”
He continued: “Trying to make our range available to as many people as possible, needed a creative approach. Although we are all so familiar with Ebay and what it does, we forget that it is a really creative, vibrant retail environment that gives space to independent sellers and innovative practices – it was a perfect match for us!”
To mark World Book Day and to celebrate the stores launch of eBay, Chapters will run a special promotion offering 20% off all titles from Wednesday 1 March to Friday 3 March on eBay.ie.