There’s nothing like coming home to a cooked dinner after a long day at work
This slow cooker recipe needs just 10 minutes prep in the morning and can then be left to cook throughout the day. The chicken is so tender, it will fall off your fork!
Serves: 4 people
4 chicken fillets
2 red or white onions – sliced
2 garlic cloves – chopped
1 tin coconut milk
1 carton of coconut cream or 250g plain Greek yoghurt
1 tsp turmeric
4 tbsp curry powder 1 tbsp tomato puree 1 tbsp honey
100mls chicken stock (made up using a full stock cube/stock pot with just 100mls boiling water)
1 tin chickpeas (You can also add any vegetables you have e.g. carrots, peppers, courgette, peas)
Rice or naan bread
Dash of olive oil
- In a frying pan add a tablespoon oil, fry the onion (and any extra veg, if using) until it’s starting to get soft.
- Add the garlic to the pan and fry for 2 mins.
- Into the slow cooker, place the onions, garlic, coconut milk and cream or yoghurt (whichever you have), turmeric, curry powder, tomato puree, honey and the chicken stock. Stir it all together.
- In the frying pan, brown the chicken fillets, turning them over so they are white on both sides (they don’t need to be cooked in the centre as they will cook in the slow cooker).
- Place the chicken into the slow cooker. Drain the tin of chickpeas and add them into the slow cooker also.
- Give it a quick stir and place the lid on and cook on low for 5-8 hours. Avoid stirring while in the slow cooker, as the coconut milk will split. Just leave it alone for the day.
- When it’s ready, take off the lid and give it another quick stir and serve with rice and/or naan bread.
- Leftovers should be stored in the fridge (once cooled) and will keep for 2-3 days.
This recipe was developed by registered dietitians and nutritionists at Danone as part of its partnership with FoodCloud to help raise awareness about food loss and waste and educate people to make the most of surplus food and prepare nutritionally balanced meals.