Full of flavour and guaranteed to impress, this chocolate and Guinness cake recipe by Avoca is as good as it looks
This recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Created by the team at Avoca, this Chocolate and Guinness Cake is rich in colour and flavour. Topped with creamy frosting and a healthy dusting of cocoa powder, it’s perfect for celebrating St Patrick’s Day – or any day for that matter. Slice, serve and sláinte!
Recipe: Avoca Chocolate and Guinness Cake
Ingredients for the cake:
- 250 mls Guinness stout
- 250g unslated butter
- 75g cocoa powder
- 400 g castar sugar
- 150ml sour cream or crème fraiche
- 2 large free range eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 275g plain flour
- 2.5 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
Ingredients for the frosting:
- 300g cream cheese
- 150g icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 125 mls heavy cream
- Pre-heat oven to gas mark 4/180 degrees celsius/350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a 23cm/9 inch cake tin.
- Pour the Guinness into a large, wide saucepan, add the butter and heat until melted. Take off the heat.
- Add the cocoa powder and sugar into the butter, Mix well.
- Beat the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl and pour into the butter mixture. Finally sieve in the flour and bicarbonate of soda. Mix until combined, but be careful not to over-mix.
- Pour the cake batter into the cake tin, and bake for 45 mins to an hour. Leave to cool completely in the tin or on a cooling rack.
- Lightly whip the cream cheese until smooth, sieve the icing sugar and corn flour and then beat to combine until light and fluffy.
- Add the cream to your desired consistency of frosting that you like.
- Spread the top of the cake with the delicious frosting. Enjoy!