Avocados are one of the most versatile and delicious foods. From poached eggs to pizzas, here’s five delicious recipes using avocados.
Avocados are one of our favourite foods to eat when we need a delicious and nutritious meal in a hurry. They are high in potassium, healthy fats and fibre and will leave you feeling fuller for longer. Avocados can be eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner and are simple and quick to make. They don’t require any cooking so are perfect if you are on-the-go. The only thing with avocados is that you have to make sure they are ripe. Hold it in the palm of your hand, and squeeze gently. A ripe avocado should yield to firm but not too hard and shouldn’t feel overly soft or mushy.
From poached eggs to pizzas, here’s five delicious recipes using avocados.
Breakfast: Poached Egg, Bacon and Avocado on Toast
- 8 smoked streaky rashers
- 4 eggs
- Dash of white wine vinegar
- 2 avocados, peeled and chopped
- Juice of ½ a lime
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices sourdough bread, lightly toasted
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Lightly dressed green salad
1. Place the rashers under a hot grill and cook until crispy.
2. Mash the avocados with the lime juice, chilli flakes, coriander leaves and season with salt and pepper.
3. Bring a large pan of water to a simmer. Season the water with salt and a dash of vinegar. Give the water a stir to cause it to swirl. Break the eggs, one at a time, into a ramekin or small bowl, then slide gently into the water. Cover the pan and continue to simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
4. To serve, toast the bread, drizzle over the olive oil then top with the avocado mixture. Place the rashers on top and finally a poached egg.
5. Season the egg with a little salt, black pepper and a sprinkle of chilli flakes. Serve with a green salad.
Lunch: Spicy Chicken & Avocado Wraps
- 1 chicken breast (approx 180g, thinly sliced at an angle)
- ½ lime (squeeze)
- ½ tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 seeded wraps
- 1 avocado, halved and stoned
- 1 roasted red pepper from a jar, sliced
- A few sprigs coriander, chopped
1. Mix the chicken with the lime juice, chilli powder and garlic.
2. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan then fry the chicken for a couple of mins – it will cook very quickly so keep an eye on it. Meanwhile, warm the wraps following the pack instructions or, if you have a gas hob, heat them over the flame to slightly char them. Do not let them dry out or they are difficult to roll.
3. Squash half an avocado onto each wrap, add the peppers to the pan to warm them through then pile onto the wraps with the chicken, and sprinkle over the coriander. Roll up, cut in half and eat with your fingers
Dinner: Cauliflower Crust Pizza with Avocado and Egg
For the crust:
- 1 Large Head of Cauliflower
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup of Cottage Cheese
For the tomato sauce:
- 1 Tin of Organic Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Handful of Fresh Basil
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Handfuls of Rocket
1. To start, chop your cauliflower just enough so that it will fit in the food processor. Blitz it until you have a ‘rice’ consistency.
2. Either microwave or steam the cauliflower rice for about 3-4 minutes. Then wrap it up in a cheese cloth and squeeze as much of the moisture out as you can. Then add it back to a large bowl and make a well in the middle and add in the cottage cheese and eggs. Using your hands mix and knead the mixture until it starts to bind.
3. Cover a baking sheet in parchment paper and use your hands to press out the dough.
4. Pop in the oven at 200’C for about 25 minutes. While it’s cooking prepare the sauce. Simply add all the sauce ingredients to the food processor and blend, also get out any other toppings you want to use.
5. Take the pizza out and swirl the tomato sauce around the base with a spoon.
6. Once the crust is cooked, simply mash the avocados and spread them over the crust. Fry the eggs to your liking and pop one in the centre of each of the pizzas. Place your other toppings on top and then pop it back in the oven for 5-10 minutes depending on your toppings.
7. Sprinkle with rocket, salt and pepper!
Snack: Avocado wings with buffalo sauce
- 2 Fresh Avocados, seeded, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1cup crushed corn cereal flakes
For the buffalo sauce:
- 1/2cup light sour cream
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 200’C
2. To prepare avocado “wings,” sprinkle avocado wedges with lime juice, salt and cayenne pepper. Roll avocado wedges in crushed cereal to coat and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until coating just barely begins to brown.
3. To prepare Buffalo Sauce, place sour cream in a small bowl. Stir in lime juice, hot pepper sauce and salt until incorporated. Serve with warm avocado “wings.”
Dessert: Chocolate Avocado Pudding
- 3 ripe avocados, stoned and flesh scooped out
- 75g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 75g clear honey
- 3 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tbsp raw cacao nibs, plus extra for sprinkling
1. Place the avocados, cocoa powder, espresso powder, honey, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and sea salt in a food processor and blitz until smooth.
2. Stir through the raw cacao nibs until combined.
3. Transfer the mixture to 4 individual serving dishes, cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes until slightly firm.
4. When ready to serve, sprinkle with a little more sea salt and raw cacao nibs.