Star of Wild Rose, Jessie Buckley and Little Women lead Saoirse Ronan are among the actresses to be honoured at the awards ceremony this February
The Irish actresses are two of five leading ladies nominated in the Best Actress category. Other nominees include Renée Zellweger for her role in Judy, Charlize Theron for her portrayal of Megan Kelly in Bombshell, and Scarlett Johansson for her part in Marriage Story.
Jessie appears alongside Zellweger in a supporting role in Judy. While Renée recently picked up a Golden Globe for her performance in Judy, we have faith that the Wild Rose star or Saoirse Ronan’s fierce portrayal of Jo March could earn the BAFTA win.
A total of 39 feature films received nominations. Joker received 11 nominations and there were 10 nominations for the Irishman and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
Other films that have performed well include:
- Nine nominations for 1917;
- Six nominations for Jojo Rabbit;
- Five nominations for Little Women, Marriage Story and The Two Popes;
- Four nominations for For Sama, Parasite and Rocketman;
- Three nominations for Bombshell, Judy, Le Mans ’66 and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
The awards will take place on 2 February at the Royal Albert Hall in London and the ceremony will be hosted by Graham Norton.