This recipe will be a great palate cleanser after all the chocolate
When you’re hosting friends or family for dinner, it’s nice to have a dessert that stops people mid-conversation as you bring it to the table. Enter this mango and blueberry pavlova from AVOCA – the perfect showstopper for Easter dinner. Decorated with fresh fruit, chocolate mini eggs and edible flowers (if you’re feeling extra fancy), the light and airy festive dish will melt in your mouth.
Makes 1 large pavlova
- 225ml free range egg whites (Approx 6 large eggs)
- 330g caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 punnet fresh blueberries
- 2 mangos, sliced
- Decorative chocolate mini eggs
- 375ml whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 80g icing sugar
- Pre heat oven to 100C. Draw a circle or oval, on parchment paper, depending on what platter you will be serving the pavlova on. Flip the paper so the outline is underneath & place on a greased baking tray.
- In a stand-up mixer add egg whites & a pinch of salt & whisk for 10-12 minutes on high speed until the whites start to form stiff peaks. Gradually add caster sugar 1 tablespoon at a time (this will take a further 12-15min) & the egg whites will become thick & glossy. This is a very important step, do not rush this process.
- Next add the vinegar, corn starch & vanilla. Whisk for another minute to fully incorporate.
- Spoon the meringue in the centre of your shape & build a pillowy soft nest making sure to fill out to the edge of your outline. Make sure to make indents into the meringue, this is where all the amazing fruit & cream can sit & look beautiful.
- Bake in the oven for two hours, until the outside is nicely crisp & dry.
- Turn off the oven & let sit inside for 3 hours to let cool naturally. Whip the cream with the icing sugar & vanilla until light & fluffy.
- Have all your fruit, cream & chocolate mini eggs ready to assemble.
- Layer dollops of whipped cream, fruit & eggs all over the top of the meringue in pretty patterns.
- Finally, decorate the pavlova with fresh leaves & edible flowers to really brighten up the Easter theme.