Using only three ingredients, these recipes are perfect for when you’re craving a sweet treat
It’s everyone’s favourite time of year – The Great British Bake Off has returned to our screens once again! There is nothing more comforting than snuggling up on the couch every Tuesday evening to watch the show, and it always inspires us to get baking.
However, this can be time consuming and costly, so we have come up with three ultra-simple recipes. Each recipe requires just three ingredients and they are all things you most likely have in your kitchen already. So, dust off your whisk and baking tray, and whip up some easy sweet treats!
Sweet lemon scones
This recipe makes ten scones, a perfect afternoon treat with a cup of tea. All you need is:
- 1 1/2 cups of self raising flower
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of lemonade
First, preheat your oven to 200°C. Then:
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Add cream and lemonade and mix well.
- Lay the mixture out flat on a board and knead it well, getting all the air out.
- Flatten the dough with your hands until it is around 2-3cm thick: then, use a round cutter to cut it into circles.
- Place the scones on a lined baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Keep an eye on them in the oven – you will know they’re ready when they’re golden brown and can be pulled apart when they’re joined together.
Gooey Nutella brownies
If you crave something sweet after dinner, these Nutella brownies are perfect. This recipe makes 12; the only problem being that they might not last long!
- 1 cup Nutella
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain flower
Once you have your ingredients, follow these instructions:
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Whisk the Nutella and eggs in a large bowl until smooth. Then, add flour and whisk until it’s all combined.
- Pour your mixture into a lined rectangular baking tin and spread evenly.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the top is firm.
- Cool for five minutes in the tin, then place on a cooling rack before cutting it into 12 pieces and enjoy.
Festive shortbread biscuits
With Christmas fast approaching, these shortbread biscuits are guaranteed to go down a treat. If you have little ones in the house, you can unleash your creativity, jazzing them up by decorating with colourful icing. Once again, you need just three ingredients:
- 2/3 cup salted butter, cut into squares
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
Preheat your oven to 165°C, and then:
- In a large bowl, mix your butter and brown sugar. Add only 1 cup of the flour and whisk until combined.
- Transfer your dough onto a flour-lined board and knead by hand for five minutes. Add the remaining flour as needed until your dough is soft.
- Wrap your dough tightly and chill for 30 minutes.
- Then, roll the dough out to about 1/2 inch thickness, lightly flouring the board if it feels too sticky. Use a cookie cutter for shapes and place them on a baking sheet, ensuring they’re not touching.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. Cool completely on a rack before you serve and enjoy!
Photo courtesy of Unsplash.