If you’re looking for a signature bake, these gorgeous pastries will make a huge impression at any family event or occasion you bring them to
These charming Siucra Strawberry and Mint Brioche Swirls combine the sweetness of ripe strawberries with the refreshing essence of mint, creating a taste sensation that’s perfect for any occasion.
Prep Time: 50 mins
Total Time: 4 hours, including proving time
For the brioche dough:
7g instant yeast
240ml milk, lukewarm
65g Siúcra Caster Sugar
540g plain flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
140g butter, room temperature, cut into cubes
1 teaspoon vegetable oil, for greasing
For the strawberry and mint jam:
250g Siúcra Sure-Set Jam Sugar
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2 tbsp fresh mint
For the swirls:
- Add the yeast, milk, and one tablespoon of the sugar into a small bowl and mix well. Set to one side for 10 minutes until foamy.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, add the flour, remaining sugar, and salt. Add the foaming yeast mixture, eggs, and vanilla extract and mix on low for five minutes until the dough comes together.
- Add the butter gradually, whilst the mixer is running on medium and once incorporated, turn the mixer up and knead for 10 minutes. The dough should be pulling away from the sides of the bowl but have formed a ‘tornado’ around the dough hook.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly greased surface and do the stretch and fold method. Pull each corner out and fold it back over itself into the centre, shaping the dough into a ball.
- Turn the dough over so that the seams are underneath, place in a lightly greased bowl and cover it with cling film. Leave in a warm spot for two hours until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, gently deflate with your fist and tip out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out the dough to be 30 x 48cm in size and trim the outside edges so that you have a neat rectangle.
- On the short side, mark the edge of the dough every 2.5cm. Using a sharp knife (or a pizza cutter) slice the dough into 12 strips, keeping the strips pressed together.
For the jam:
- To make the jam, rinse and hull the strawberries, then chop up any larger ones.
- Put the berries in a pan together with the Siúcra Sure Set Jam Sugar and lemon zest and juice. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Drop a little jam onto a cold plate to check the consistency.
- Remove the pan from the heat and carefully skim off any foam. Add the fresh chopped mint. Pour the jam into hot, clean jars, seal immediately and allow to cool.
Combining the two:
- Spread the jam evenly over the dough. Roll up each strip of dough at a time and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, leaving space between each swirl. Repeat with the remaining strips.
- Cover the tray with cling film and let the scrolls rise in a warm place for 45 mins, until the scrolls have doubled in size. Whilst the dough is rising, preheat your oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4.
- Brush each swirl in egg wash and bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Make strawberry sugar by adding the sugar and freeze-dried strawberry powder to a medium shallow bowl and mix together.
- Brush the outside of the swirls with melted butter and dip each one in the strawberry sugar. Shake off the excess and serve immediately.