Fiona O’Donnell of West Cork Fit featured at our Exhale event in Cork back in September. Fiona strives to live a healthy and happy life with her family and she loves cooking delicious but equally nutritious meals. Her recipe for spiced pork and apples is so tasty and really easy to make. It doesn’t require too many ingredients which is always a bonus. Crockpots or slow cookers are a great way of saving time but still mean your dish is packed with flavour. Alternatively, you can also use a oven proof dish for this recipe. The earthiness of the spices balances perfectly with the sweetness of the apples and even Fiona’s children love the recipe!
Spice Mix for the Pork Steak:
1. Mix a tablespoon each of coriander seed and cumin seed. Toast them and then grind them in a pestle and mortar.
2. Roll the pork steak in the spice mix and brown it in a frying pan with a little butter.
3. Once browned, add to the crock pot.
4. Melt a little butter in the frying pan.
5. Chop an onion and two cloves of garlic and add them to the pan. Keep the heat low and brown the onion a little. Mix in a tablespoon of wholegrain mustard.
6. Finally, allow this apple mix to simmer in either 2 cups of cider or (for kids, use apple juice.) Add beef stock cube for extra flavour.
7. If you prefer to use fresh stock, you can just add some stock and roux. If you use fresh stock and roux, a dash of Lea and Perrins Worchester sauce really adds to the flavour.
8. Season to your own taste.
9. Add this mix to the crock pot. If you need to, you can add a little more cider or water. This will depend on the depth of your crockpot and what kind of stock you use.
10. Leave it in the crockpot for about 4 hours on medium heat. If you don’t have a crockpot, you can always put this in an oven proof dish 160 degrees Celsius for 4 hours.
11. Serve this dish with petit pois and mashed potato.
Inform | Inspire | Indulge