Looking for some dinner or lunch inspiration? This recipe for blackened chicken with a refreshing quinoa and feta salad is quick to make and full of flavour. Created by Ireland's youngest Michelin-starred chef, Andy McFadden, using the Quinola Mothergrain Quinoa range, this is a delicious healthy option for a happy start to the year.
Quinoa is an alternative staple ingredient full of slow release carbohydrates, which will keep you fuller for longer, and is packed full of protein. The Quinola Mothergrain range includes Pearl (white) quinoa, which is a good alternative to rice; Red Quinoa, which is full of iron; and Black Quinoa, the rarest of quinoas which contains lithium.
Recipe: Blackened Chicken with Quinoa Salad
• 100g Black Quinola
• 100g Red Quinola
• 100g White Quinola
• 1 red chilli, finely chopped
• 100g baby spinach, picked
• 4 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
• 1 bunch of fresh coriander, leaves only
• 1 bunch of fresh mint, leaves only
• juice and zest of 2 limes
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 50g feta cheese
• 2 x 200g skinless free-range chicken breasts
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tsp ground allspice
• 1 tsp smoked paprika
• olive oil
• 2 mixed-colour peppers
• 4 tbsp natural yoghurt
1. Cook the Quinola separately according to the packet instructions, then drain and spread out on a large plate or tray to cool quickly.
2. On a large sheet of greaseproof paper, toss the chicken with sea salt, black pepper, the allspice and paprika. Fold over the paper, then bash and flatten the chicken to 1.5cm thick with a rolling pin
3. Put into the frying pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, turning after 3 or 4 minutes, or until blackened and cooked through.
4. Deseed the peppers, cut each one into strips and add to the frying pan, tossing regularly.
5. Toss the Quinola with the chilli, spinach, spring onions, coriander (reserving a few leaves) and cooked peppers, add the lime juice and zest, the extra virgin olive oil, mix well and season to taste.
6. Slice up the chicken, toss the slices in any juices and add to the salad. Crumble over the feta, scatter over the remaining coriander leaves. Serve with dollops of the natural yoghurt.
Inform | Inspire | Indulge